Friday, June 28, 2013

Games I play...

So this goes back to the previous post about goal setting, but I totally play this game, ALL DAY LONG, where I set little mini-goals for myself (because.I.am.a.weird.kid.) 

For instance, this morning I decided to deep clean my house - literally scrubbed virtually every inch.  I did this between (and sometimes while on) numerous conference calls (the joys of working from home.)  That part is all well and good - clean house, work calls completed - A+ for multi-tasking.  Here's the weird part - Let's say my next call was in thirty minutes.  In my head, I would list out all the things I HAD to get done in that thirty minute time period and then I'd try to do them as quickly as possible.

Now, let's be clear here,  I did NOT have to do those things in the thirty allotted minutes.  (To be honest, the house wasn't horribly dirty, so I didn't have to do them at all.  But for the sake of argument, we'll go with the cleaning being necessary.)  While I had a lot of things I wanted to get done today, I had plenty of time to do them.  They could have waited until the afternoon, or even until the weekend.  There was no big party tonight where someone might have noticed that my toilets weren't scrubbed to perfection..so why in the heck did I give myself these time limits?

The answer is:  that's just who I am.  I like to challenge myself and set goals (even if they are totally meaningless.)  

Now, please don't think I'm totally nuts.  I can settle down and watch a movie with no agenda or goal in mind, but if I am in work mode, the games get played.  Does anyone else play these crazy games?  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment